Kreider's Contemplations on Teaching & Technology

lifelong learner, teacher, and geek

Not a Superhero…

on May 6, 2021

At the beginning of this pandemic, I received a face mask with the familiar quote “I’m a teacher. What’s your super power?” I have never worn it. I don’t have super powers. I struggle every day with self-doubt, with frustration that I wasn’t able to mentally check off “proficient” for all the students I taught that day. So when my principal informed me that I would be Teacher of the Year for Rialto, my first reaction was fear. I’m not yet qualified. I’ve been at this for 32 years, but I’m still trying to figure it out. I don’t think I can check the box for “proficient” on my own report card. I don’t think I ever will. There are teachers who are better at this than me. So many names come to mind – I wish I could list them all right here.

And then I was told to watch for an announcement on social media. I’m a techie teacher who doesn’t use social media! I haven’t posted on this blog in years! How do all these people find the time to be amazing educators, as well as maintain an online presence by reading, responding, writing? I just can’t do it. I’m not that amazing.

So here’s my message to all those who did not receive Teacher of the Year awards. Take it! This one is for you! I’m no better than you. There is no magic here. I’m just trying to figure it out each day and level up. Do better than yesterday. Or just survive today so I can do better tomorrow. Perhaps that is the true super power that everyone has – the potential and the will to do better each day.

Skip to toolbar