Kreider's Contemplations on Teaching & Technology

lifelong learner, teacher, and geek

Why didn’t I think of this earlier? Camera mode!

on April 26, 2016

Today I had students using base-ten blocks in their teams to model a math problem. I wanted the rest of the students to see what a particular group was doing. However, I had forgotten to pass out the mats that would make it easy to carry their resulting collection of blocks up to the document camera. But then I realized, I’ve got a Surface Pro in my hands (I walk everywhere with it) and it has a camera! So, I just activated the camera and voila, I was able to project a live view of the team’s desk to my wireless projector! We watched as the team performed the regrouping task with their blocks. I was able to walk to each team and have the class compare their work to others. They pointed out other team’s errors, and saw different strategies. Suddenly, there was even more accountability since every team knew their work could be next on display.

I can’t wait to use the camera for a million other lessons! Science labs, progress on projects, etc. Now, any part of my room can be projected for the class to instantly see and discuss.

Skip to toolbar